Friday, October 05, 2007

You should always be in the market for buying land

Someone once said to buy land, it's the only thing they're not making any more of. I'm not positive who first said it, I just remember my mom saying it when I was a little kid and that kind of stuck with me throughout my life. My mom has always been good at buying land. She knows how to watch for a good deal and to make a great deal when she has the chance. I have often wanted to be able to find good land deals the way that she can.

I suppose all it takes is keeping an eye on the local real estate listings in the newspaper or those home flier deals. To keep looking for property and be ready to buy when the time is right.

I have watched those TV shows on late at night about buying real estate and how to pick it up for next to nothing, but I'm not so sure on if those things are actually telling the truth about how easy that is or just trying to con people out of their money for something they are making seem easy.

For me the best way to find land will remain watching local newspapers and keeping an eye on real estate listings wherever they might be found: online, local bulletin boards, word of mouth about someone thinking about selling... and so on. We've picked up a few good places just because my mom heard that the people that had them were getting divorced and wanted to sell the place out fast and cheap.

One of the places the wife owned the mobile home on the land and the husband owned the land and neither one of them wanted the other to have both so my parents ended up with the mobile home and the property for a very low price.

You can't always find situations like that, but if you keep alert for what the value of land is in your area and watch the listings for really good deals then you can usually find something that can be bought for a decent price. And really, the prices I have seen some people paying month to month for rent in apartments, an acre of land with a small house on it could be easily purchased for about the same amount in many places.

0 comments: