Thursday, February 18, 2010

Visitors Yesterday

Niece called me yesterday, checking to see that we'd be home cause her brother was in the State and wanted to come by to see dad. They stopped in a bit later and them and her kids hung out with dad for a little while, didn't seem to have much to say though. I don't care if they don't have much to say, really, I'm just glad that they thought to come let dad know that he was in the state, say hi to him. One of the hardest things about being a caregiver is to have to watch how unhappy it makes the care recipient that no one will come visit them. It don't matter to dad if he has nothing to say, I think he just wants to know that they still remember him and care enough about him to stop in occasionally and visit. Not much of a talker, though, he I suppose scares them all off when he just sits there to listen to what others are saying, so when I could see that things had hit the "no more to say" point, I went into talking to niece about the new heater we had installed and everything - so dad did not have to hold up a conversation, but was still able to enjoy visiting with them and listening and being a part of the conversation going on around him. They only stayed a few minutes, maybe ten or fifteen, then took back off, but having had company made dad happy for the rest of the day.

0 comments: