Monday, October 23, 2006

Download Independent Music

Okay, you all know I'm not very into music, and most of you know it's not because I don't like music. I just don't like the stuff that a lot of people call music. Most of the music that I like is by the lesser known bands, such as Emerald Rose (thank you M for turning me on to their music!), so when I encountered Amie Street I was immediately intrigued.

Amie Street is a site for new artists to get noticed by the most important people in the industry - the people that listen to music. These are also the people that determine the value of the songs on Amie Street. When a song is uploaded it is free to download, with each successive download increasing the value (price) of the piece.

As of the time I am writing this the average price for a song on Amie Street's "Today's Specials" home page range from .05 cents to .40 cents.

I did not see any New Age music, which is a shame, but I do see a wide range of music at the site: acoustic, instrumental, country, hip hop, Christian, folk, folk rock, reggae, rock, techno... you get the idea.

Amie Street mp3's are not equipped with DRM1, which allows you to play them on yuor iPod, computer, self made music CDs... anything that will play an mp3. The site is all about discovering independent music that you normally would not encounter. The pricing is designed to encourage listeners to try new artists and listen music that they may just love, maybe enough to help the artist spread some name recognition through recommendations to friends.

My favorite part about this site? No credit card required. You can use PayPal to pay for the music you download from Amie Street, even earn credit toward the purchase of music by recommending songs to others. Sign up for free and start listening to great music by independent artists looking to share their talents.

(And, because I know it's something I look for on sites, the governing laws of Amie Street are out of the state of California.)

______________________________________________________________
1
Information on DRM - Digital Rights Management:

Digital Rights Management Solutions
"From broadband portals to portable devices, SyncCast’s DRM solutions enable you to securely deliver, track and profit from digital media in almost any way you can imagine.
SyncCast’s DRM solutions are used by global media and broadband companies to protect, transact, and facilitate consumer friendly content acquisition worldwide."

and

Wikipedia
"Commercial online music distribution services (like the iTunes Music Store) usually prefer other/proprietary music file formats that support Digital Rights Management (DRM) to control and restrict the use of digital music. The use of formats that support DRM is in an attempt to prevent copyright infringement of copyright protected materials, but methods exist to defeat most protection schemes, although such methods are considered illegal in many countries."

2 comments:

Lucas said...

Thanks Sandra! We're trying. Sorry about not having a new age genre. I'll add that in. We have it, it's just not categorized yet. Think you might be interested in this little label out of Glasgow called Palooka. I haven't been able to stop listening to this for the past couple days now, and all the songs are still free. Hope you like.

Lucas

Sandra said...

Cool, thanks Lucas. The lack of New Age music that I had found actually had me eyeing my small collection of musical instruments and pondering submitting something, maybe I'll spare your listeners the trauma though, lol ;-)

Still very seriously contemplating the idea of submitting a few of the ambiance type things I have been working on for a while (flutes at streams or drumming at ocean type things)