Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dollhouses

My mom and I collected dolls and dollhouses. We wanted to restore and sell dollhouses that were old and worn down, and to build new dollhouses to put up for sale.

One of my favorite memories and dollhouses is a huge Victorian style dollhouse that my mom found in a second hand shop. She wanted the house so badly, but my sister told her there was no way it would fit in the car. My mom asked me what I thought, could I get it in the car? I studied it for just a few moments, then nodded. Yes. If mom wanted it, I was sure I could get it into the car, no problem.

Sure enough, out in the parking lot my mom smiled happily as my sister watched in surprise as the dollhouse perfectly slid into the back seat of the car. There was not a lot of room to spare, but I had not had any doubts that the house would fit into the car.

That house spent its early time with us down for the grand children and great grandchildren to play with, then lived on the top of a cabinet in my mom's bedroom. It would come out for Christmas to be turned into a tiny Victorian Christmas, then be taken back to Mom's room for her to enjoy throughout the year. It remained her favorite dollhouse, even it it was never finished, for the rest of her life and is now my favorite dollhouse.

0 comments: