Sunday, April 03, 2011

Fresh home made cherry pie

One of the joys of life is a home made pie. I did not make the filling, that was two cans of cherry pie filling, but I did make the crust on the pie. A basic flour & shortening crust that I rolled out on the counter. It has been too long since I have made a home made pie, which was something my mom dearly loved. She always liked my pie crusts, because even the outer edge crusts would turn out soft and flaky on the pies, unlike the frozen store pie crusts that are too tough to eat.

Berry pies always get a brush of butter across the top crust in the last twenty minutes of baking and a sprinkling of sugar just to add a bit of sweetness and glamor to the pie. They also get decorated edge work and some kind of decoration, such as a sprig of cherries on a cherry pie or a cornucopia on a mincemeat pie.

0 comments: