Friday, December 30, 2011

A Healthier Life in 2012

Each year we all think that we will start living healthier in the new year, but each year most of us are going to fall right back into our old bad habits not long after the new year has started.

Make this the year that everything changes. 2012 is a significant year in that it is the year the Mayan Long Count Calendar ends. It is scheduled to end on December 21, 2012. Many claim that this will bring with it major changes and earth ending disasters, others that it is of no significance aside from the end of a calender, making it no different from any other new year's day - just a bit longer in the time span.

I think that 2012 is a great year in which to decide that my life will be different moving forward. When I was a kid I felt that I had all of the time in the world in which to do all of the things that I wanted to do. After I hit 20 I started helping my parents with things and became a part-time caregiver, which left me with little time to actually pursue other things.

By 31 my dad had a major stroke and for the next ten years I focused everything I was on taking care of him and my mom. It resulted in my looking up one day in late 2010 and realizing that I was over 40 and had spent my entire life focused on taking care of others. And that has not changed. As I write this I am still focused on taking care of others to the point that I stay at home constantly and never actually get out and do anything.

2012 is the year I change that. I am going to start out by making a choice to spent the winter following a diet and exercise plan that will help me lose weight and get healthier, then as spring gets here I will start getting out and doing more things outside of the house. I'm not sure what yet, but I'll start with taking my ATV out on long rides and go from there. The important thing is that 2012 will not be just another year of the same stuff.

0 comments: