Saturday, December 03, 2011

I miss having horses

One of the things I don't like about living in Alaska is that it is not a good place for keeping horses. Thirty years ago we had horses in Washington, not a lot, usually only two or three at a time, but for the years we pinged between Washington and Alaska we always had horses down there. I started riding when I was ten, helped my mom break my first pony when I was 11. I was never the type to wear things like riding breeches or use English saddles, although I did know some people that did. I was more the classic western rider wearing Levis and riding with either a traditional western saddle or bareback. I did use a saddle pad for a while, but I preferred the western saddle.

If I ever do move back down to the lower 48 States I want to be somewhere that I can have horses again. I miss slow rides through the mountains letting the horse pick the trail, then relaxing and enjoying the scenery as my horse finds our way back home. ATVs are nice, but they don't seem to have the same innate homing skills that horses have.

0 comments: