Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Buying in bulk for one

You always hear about the kids starting out and all they can afford are instant noodles and stuff like that, but the truth is, if they have access to a freezer, it is possible to stock up on good foodstuffs for a month on a very reasonable budget. I went and picked up a box of freezer ZipLock bags, and a family size package of skinless chicken breasts, then divided the package into single servings and froze them. I also did the same thing with a package of six pork chops.

Another trick I have done recently is to cook a full chicken dinner, just like my mom and I made years ago, and then take those foil pie tins with the lids (washed out ones that graham cracker pie crusts had come in), I then placed a serving of dinner into a pie tin, making sure that it was all things like chicken, gravy, potatoes stuffing and peas that could be reheated in the oven. Covered with aluminum foil and topped it with the pie tin cover, (a biscuit can be wrapped in saran wrap and placed between foil and pie tin lid). I used a dry erase marker to write the contents and date and reheating info on the plastic pit tin cover, then put it in the freezer.

Heated it back up a week later and it was just as good as any TV dinner, better even, since it only ad in it what I like.

0 comments: