Sunday, February 06, 2011

Cut myself with rotary cutter

Last night, for the first time in years of sewing and quilting with rotary cutters, my poor finger was in the wrong place as the rotary cutter rolled down the side of the ruler. Caught myself and shaved multiple layers of skin down to just barely the level of drawing blood.

I cleaned it up and got it all bandaged properly - or at least as properly as I could when all I has was an almost too small round bandage and a butterfly closure bandage.

Last night, as I was sleeping, the finger got slightly swollen - just enough that it started to hurt. When I went to take the bandage off ot it, the little bit of blood and infection stuff had welded it in place. I ended up cutting carefully to remove the bandage as much as I could, then soaking in water for a moment, then drenching with peroxide for a little while and finally just gritting teeth and tugging to get the bandage off. Finger is now being babied and left open to the air with regular administrations of peroxide to keep good and clean. Can only tell it's swollen by stiffness in trying to bend it and a bit of tension around the nail.

0 comments: