Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cast Iron Cookware

I've been keeping the house warm using my old Franklin Fireplace, which is actually sort of nice aside from the fact that it is not much good against the cold. It does make me wish I still had all of the metal inserts that are used for cooking in it, I would like to clean up my old cast iron kettles and pans and start cooking using the Franklin rather than cooking on the electric stove.

I remember my grandmother's cast iron collection. It was a really nice one, and the inspiration for my own ever expanding collection of cast iron cookware.

The important thing about cast iron is that you never use any kind of abrasives when you clean it, and never - no matter what happens - leave it with water in it. I remember my grandmother got really mad when one of my uncle's girlfriends was so kind as to put all my grandma's cast iron cookware on to soak. =-o Grandma said she spent days re-seasoning her cookware.

To season a cast iron skillet you literally cook shortening into the iron. Preheat the oven to around 325 degrees F. First wash the skillet using warm soapy water and *IMMEDIATELY* dry it with a towel - DO NOT let it drip dry. Coat it with vegetable shortening and bake for around an hour. Rub shortening into the metal and bake the skillet for another hour.

When finished wipe excess oil away - do not wash it off, just wipe clean then store your skillet in a cool dry place.

My mom and grandma used to say that you never washed good cast iron, you just wiped it out between uses. When you do need to wash it make sure that you re-season it to keep it in good condition for years to come.

0 comments: