Monday, November 14, 2011

UV Mapping In Blender - What is it?

A UV map is kind of the skin of an image in Blender, and is one of the things that has been holding me up in how I can export my images out of Blender and into Daz 3D so I can build the things I need to tell my Mars Station One story.

This shows a basic cube shape in a 3D program, and what it looks like with its UV map unwrapped from around it.

The map creates a skin that covers the basic base shape, and when it is applied to the shape.

In its simplest form, the UV map entails:
  • Unwrapping the mesh
  • Creating the textuer
  • Applying the texture
So, the step that I was missing in creating items to move from Blender into Daz Studio was the UV mapping that would allow me to make a decal for applying back onto the item once the basic figure was in Daz Studio.

Visit Mars Station One for more about my 3D project, and to find out more about 3D in general and my learning process in creating my 3D project, visit Phantascene.





Cube Attribution: Zephyris at en.wikipedia

0 comments: