Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wedding Rings

Whenever I think of wedding rings, I think of my parents' rings. Matching simple gold bands that had a single etched line on either edge. They had inscriptions on the inside of them. My parents' initials and the date of their wedding and something about love.. I'm not sure what the full inscription was, since the only ring I saw the inside of was my dad's, and the band was worn down so I could barely make out the inscription and could not see what was wrote with the word "love".

Most of the time, when I see wedding sets, they have two different rings, a thin ring for the women, while the men wedding ring style is a thicker wider band. I always preferred the matching rings of my parents that were the same size and had the same basic design to them.

I suppose that it is the fact that those rings saw my parent through nearly 60 years together. The certainly saw the full spectrum of for better or worse, for richer or poorer, and in sickness and in health. And though it all those two simple basic rings were the symbol of their love for one another. Rings that are now still on their fingers to prove that for them, it was not till death do they part. Their love was, is forever.

0 comments: